The EU Commission has published a revised version of the “Guide to the application of the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC”. The guide is currently only available in English.
Guide to the Machinery Directive – revised version 2.1 published
The EC Machinery Directive is an important regulation for plant and machine engineering as it defines the requirements for machinery safety and harmonises statutory provisions in the EU region. Abstract wording and inconsistencies in the interpretation of the text of the Directive were the reasons for creating a practical “Guide to the application of the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC”. The guidelines for market surveillance are used exclusively as an interpretation aid here and are not legally binding. The EU Commission has now published the revised version 2.1.
What has changed in the new version?
Important changes concern the topics of “partly completed machinery” and “assembly of machines”, among other things. In addition, a completely new part entitled “Specific guidance documents” was added with special questions relating to the following topics:
- §411 Safety fences as safety component under the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC
- §412 Classification of equipment used for lifting loads with lifting machinery
- §413 Emergency stop devices
- §414 Guards for drilling machines
- §415 Manually loaded trucks for the collection of household refuse incorporating a compression mechanism
- §416 Interchangeable equipment for lifting persons and equipment used with machinery designed for lifting goods for the purpose of lifting persons
Remain up-to-date in the machinery safety sector! The new version of the “Guide to the application of the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC” is available on the website of the European Commission.